I'm happy to report that after seemingly endless hours the past couple of days, I have photographed and listed several items on Etsy (you can follow that link, or use the clever little widget on the right hand sidebar). I had no idea how much time went into this! I've spent many a nap and evening getting everything ready. I designed and printed tags for the yarn, taken countless photographs of each item, and written the listings. What a pain in the ass that is. I think that at least four of the listings didn't get saved for some reason, so I had to keep doing them over. Fun times. But, now it's done, and I can relax a bit until my next shipment of yarn arrives. Okay, now shop away! :)
That ends the shameless self-promotion part of this post. Now we can move on to the knitting and warm hands. A lot of you probably already saw that Keri started a knitalong, Fingerless Mitts for Fall. An excellent idea! When I saw her post, my first thought was that this knitalong would be a good excuse to start using up some of those 4 ounce skeins of handspun yarn that I don't know what to do with.
I was too lazy to search the internet for a pattern for simple fingerless mitts, so I decided to try and make one up as I went along. First, I measured my hand across the knuckles, excluding the thumb. My hand measures 6.5". Next, I took my gauge, which was roughly 4.5 stitches per inch, (I'll be honest and say that I didn't swatch, I simply guesstimated and got lucky) and multiplied that by the hand measurement. Those numbers told me to cast on 28 stitches (actually, 29.25 stitches, but I needed an even number divisible by 4) and knit a 2x2 ribbing for about 2". I then knit 4 rounds in stockinette stitch and started my thumb gusset increases. These measurements were all calculated with the highly scientific method of trying on the mitt and improvising as I went along. I increased every other round 6 times, for a total of 12 thumb stitches. I knit one round even after the last increase, and put the thumb stitches onto waste yarn. I continued knitting the 28 stitches left for the hand until it was long enough. I knit 4 rounds of 2x2 ribbing and cast off. I then replaced the thumb stitches on my needles, knit a few rounds and cast off. So, in case you ever wanted it, there is an unpattern for fingerless mitts.
These mitts have kept my hands warm this week while using the computer. The handspun I used is bulky, so the mitts are a bit unwieldy at times, but they are very cozy. I'm planning on making a much sleeker pair eventually, most likely Eunny's Endpaper Mitts with some leftover sock yarns. For now, these will do. They're also great for keeping the chill at bay when I walk the dog or during my early morning school drop-offs.
Autumn is definitely here, no matter what the calendar says. Bring it on. My hands are covered. :)