I just don't have it in me to come up with a clever post today, but I do have a new sweater hot off the needles that I wanted to share. I'm amazed at how focusing on one or two projects at a time gets things done faster. I've had this Rib and Cable cardi on my needles since August, but have only worked on it sporadically. I think part of the issue was that it is knit in black yarn (boring, but it goes with just about everything, and I really needed a new black cardi) in 4x4 ribbing. So, for a knitter who gets the majority of her knitting done at night after the wee ones go to bed, this project wasn't always the best choice.
I also hit a few small snags along the way. First, as I was about halfway through the second sleeve, I realized that there was no way I would have enough yarn to finish up the rest of the sleeve, not to mention the collar. It was frustrating, because the pattern stated that it would take 10 skeins of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK to make the smallest size. This is the size I made, with the very same yarn suggested in the pattern. I had a bag of 10 skeins of the Cashmerino DK sitting in my stash, waiting for the right project, and then this book came along this summer, and I knew they would be perfect together. I was getting ready to email the shop I had originally purchased the yarn from, to see if I could get a single ball of Cashmerino, when it occurred to me to check on Ravelry. Wouldn't you know it, there was another knitter there who had a single ball of black Cashmerino DK that was marked for sale or trade. Even better, it was from the very same dyelot! A few emails later, and I had the yarn to complete my sweater. Then, as I finished the sweater, I realized that I had no buttons for it. I couldn't find what I wanted locally, so I had to order some buttons and wait for them to arrive in the mail. I sewed the buttons on yesterday (all twelve of them), and voila!, a new cardigan.
Pattern: Rib and Cable Cardigan from Family Knits by Debbie Bliss
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK in black, 11 skeins
Size: small (34-36")
Needles: 3.75mm Pony rosewood circulars
Time to knit: sometime in August, to 12 December 2007
Modifications: The only thing I did was lengthen the sleeves by 1/2", because I wanted them to come down slightly past bracelet length. They came out exactly the way I wanted.
Overall, I'm extremely happy with this cardi. It fits perfectly, and can be worn with practically anything. It is extremely comfortable, and very warm. My only concern is that this yarn will pill like mad. Even while I was working with the yarn, it showed signs of wear. I've never used this yarn before, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't wind up looking like absolute crap after just a few wearings. If anyone else has any insight into how well this yarn holds up, I'd love to hear about it.
All of this focusing has helped me finish not only this cardi, but another pair of socks as well. Right before I sat down to write this post, I wove in the last end on my second Loksins! sock. Unfortunately, it's dark right now, and the photos I attempted didn't come out very well. I did get some without using the flash, but it took a very long exposure to let enough light get into the lens so that the details showed up. Of course, that long exposure requires remaining completely motionless for the duration of the shutter opening, and I can't sit still for more than a second, so all of the photos were blurry. I guess the socks will have to wait until tomorrow. Until then, if you're looking for something to do while surfing around the internet, you can hop on over to my shop and check out the huge update I did last night. There is a ton of the new superwash wool/nylon blend sock yarn, like I used for my Gentleman's Fancy Socks, some alpaca/merino/silk roving, as well as a few skeins of handspun. </shameless plug>